Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Book Bug

I have caught it: the book bug. I have the desire to read and read often. My hope is that this disease spreads like wildfire across our nation and even around the world. Thank you to all my friends and family that have helped me to develop need to read.

Statistics are scary regarding reading. According to the National Adult Literacy Survey in 1992, "44 million adults in the U.S. can't read well enough to read a simple story to a child." "21 million Americans can't read at all...one-fifth of high school graduates can't read their diplomas." (Department of Justice, 1993)

Jerold Jenkins, a publisher, lists these statistics:

1/3 of high school graduates never read another book for the rest of their lives.
42 percent of college graduates never read another book after college.
80 percent of U.S. families did not buy or read a book last year.

I do not want to be part of these statistics. Reading can be entertaining, educational and enlightening. And of all books, those are the ones that I search for.

No comments: