Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Charlotte's Web by E.B. White

Remember reading Charlotte's web as a child and bawling so hard that the last chapter was difficult to finish. For me it is easy to remember what I thought about this book since I read it for the first time last year. The themes of friendship and watching for the good in others run rampant through the story. The friendship that Wilber and Charlotte share makes a huge difference in both of their lives.

Fern is also a great friend. She sees something good in Wilber that no one else can see, at first. What would have happened if she did not wake up early the morning of Wilber's birth. I love the beginning after Fern saves Wilber from the chopping block and her brother Avery asks if he can have a pig also. Their dad answers "No, I only distribute pigs to early risers. Fern was up at daylight, trying to rid the world of injustice. As a result, she now has a pig, a small one, to be sure, but nevertheless a pig. It just shows what can happen if a person gets out of bed promptly..."

This is the first chapter book that I read to my son. After reading the book we watched two different versions of the movie. My advise, skip the movies, they are not worth it. This is definitely a book worth reading.

No comments: