Friday, May 30, 2008

Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert


I am still trying to process the premise, theme and outcome of the book Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. The book follows the author through an adventure as she travels for a year through Italy, India and Indonesia to find out how to balance passion and devotion. I enjoyed reading about her time in India, where she spent four months in a yogic ashram, meditating and concentrating about the things of God. After surviving a divorce and and bad breakup she harbored some harsh feelings toward certain others, herself and even toward God. While in India she became free from these feelings and found herself not willing to give refuge to any thought that had the ability to harm her spirit. This was a breakthrough thought for me. I have repeated her words, "I will not harbor unhealthy thoughts" many times in the past couple days and it has helped free my mind for more important purposes. I will forever be grateful to Elizabeth Gilbert for those simple words. I am not delighted about how the book ends, but I loved to watch as she comtemplated many of the hardest questions ever asked. As for the book, I am not going to endorse or discourage reading this book, if you do read it, lets discuss.

No comments: