Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd


Lily Owens has a hard life, she lives with T-Ray and here is her description of him: "He didn't believe in slumber parties or sock hops, which wasn't a big concern, as I never got invited to them anyway, but he refused to drive me to town for football games, pep rallies, or beta club car washes, which were held on Saturdays. He did not care that I wore clothes I made for myself in home economics class, cotton print shirtwaists with crooked zippers and skirts hanging below my knees, outfits only the Pentecostal girls wore. I might as well have worn a sign on my back: I Am Not Popular, and Never Will Be." She has one faint memory of her mother and a gun, but does not remember what happened.


Throughout this story Lily comes to understand her past, accept her present and look forward to the future. She needs to learn a few things first, including the secret life of bees. I love the part in the book where she talks about forgiveness and says that some people would rather die than forgive. This is true.


"Bee yard etiquette: ... the world is really one big bee yard, and the same rules work fine in both places: Don't be afraid, as no life-loving bee wants to sting you. Still, don't be an idiot; wear long sleeves and long pants. Don't swat. Don't even think about swatting. If you feel angry, whistle. Anger agitates, while whistling melts a bee's temper. Act like you know what you're doing, even if you don't. Above all, send the bees love. Every little thing wants to be loved."


I recommend this book. There are some great characters that are full of life and are very lovable and some that are easy to despise.


No comments: