Sunday, June 29, 2008

My New Book List

I have been working off of a couple booklists for the books that I choose. Most of the books that I have read lately are juvenile fiction. That is sortof where I chose to start since I did not read much as a youth. Now, I have found a new booklist with deeper content and interesting subjects. This list is from a course taught by Oliver DeMille who I highly respect. I will continue to read the Newberry award books, whatever dear Katie and I decide on for book club and whatever I get my hands on, but will also strive to read books off of the following list also. If you want to read along and make comments on these books you can get started. Here it is:

Allen, Collection of Writings of George
Washington
Hamilton, Mythology
Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago
Madison, et. al., The Federalist Papers
Plato, The Republic
Aristotle, Politics
Warren Bennis, Why Leaders Can’t Lead
Peter Drucker, The Effective Executive
Collins, Good to Great (with supplement for
non-profits)
Walton, The Deming Management Method
The Shell Global Scenarios 2025
Jung, Synchronicity
Coelho, The Alchemist
Hughes, The Vital Few
Jacques Barzun, Teacher in America
C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man
George Turnbull, Observations upon Liberal
Education
G.K. Chesterton, Orthodoxy
Henry Newman, The Idea of a University
Josiah Bunting, An Education for Our Times
Skousen, The Making of America
Eldridge, Wild at Heart
Eldridge, Captivating
Arbinger Institute, The Peacegiver
Campbell, The Hero with a Thousand Faces
Hugo, Les Miserables
Stowe, Uncle Tom’s Cabin
Bhagavad-Gita
Qur’an
Course on Miracles
Darwin, Origin of the Species
Hawking, The Universe in a Nutshell
Feynman, Lectures on Physics
Buber, I and Thou
James, Pragmatism
Jaworski, Synchronicity
The Weight of Glory by C.S. Lewis
Nibley, Ancient State
Wilber, A Brief History of Everything
Nietzsche, selected readings
Rand, Fountainhead & Atlas Shrugged
Tocqueville, Democracy in America
Freud, Collected Writings (ed. by Peter Gay)
Aurelius, Meditations

No comments: