Thursday, June 19, 2008

Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie


Peter Pan is the classic tale of the boy who never grew up. I was surprised to see how closely the book is followed by the Walt Disney cartoon version of the same tale. It is fortunate that Peter stayed a boy though, for if he were to choose to grow up a little and then stick somewhere in the teenage years, he would become the worlds greatest heart breaker. For some reason girls cling to him and stick around even though he does not treat them well. Pan's search for a mother figure in his life, brings to light the importance of a mother's love. Wendy is sure that her mother has and will always leave the window open for her to come back from her adventure in Neverland whenever she is ready. Peter does not believe it. "I thought like you that my mother would always keep the window open for me: so I stayed away for moons and moons and moons, and then flew back; but the window was barred, for mother had forgotten all about me, and there was another little boy sleeping in my bed." This is sad. I could hardly believe the feelings that Peter had towards his mother, who he did not really remember. I was also shocked at how crude, rude and jealous Tinker Bell was. The one saving grace for her is that she put her life on the line to save Peter. I think this was an entertaining book, but I would suggest that it should be read by children that are older than eight. There are some swear words and some rough behavior.

1 comment:

the_never_fairy said...

Yes, indeed, there is a darker tone to Barrie's creation than one might originally think. A lot has been done with Peter Pan, including some prequels and sequels. But these don't quite have the darker tone and they contradict Barrie's original stories. But it seems one is coming that is based on Barrie's idea for continuing Pan's adventures! Here's the announcement page: http://www.peterpansneverworld.com/
BELIEVE!